Want to know how to lose weight without cardio? Well read on then…
Once upon a time, women aim for the smaller waistlines; hence the popularity of slimming corsets. Fast forward today, growing waistline is becoming an issue because worldwide obesity has tripled since 1975 with America, Mexico, and New Zealand having the highest obesity rates.
According to a study published in The New England Journal of Medicine, more than 603 million adults around the world are considered as obese. What’s more alarming is that the obesity rate is not even going down, which could be a precursor to medical conditions like diabetes, kidney disease, and cardiovascular diseases.
This is why many people are advocating for better and healthier lifestyle, which is a combination of proper diet, exercise, and the right mindset. If you are the type of person who is not into exercise, particularly cardio, then this one is for you.
Here are several ways you can lose weight without cardio – and yes, it’s possible too:
1. Weight Loss Pills
One of the easiest and popular ways to lose weight without cardio is by taking weight loss pills. You simply drink it everyday and you can see improvement in your waistline and overall weight.
There are two kinds:
- Fat Trapper – This kind of weight loss pill binds the fat content of the food you ate instead of being digested.
- Fat Burner – This type of weight loss pill, which is also known as thermogenics, increases fat metabolism, impairs fat absorption, and promotes weight loss.
If taken in moderate amounts, weight loss pills could help you lose weight without cardio. Still, you have to be careful and pay attention to the ingredients. Some of the most effective weight loss ingredients are:
- Caffeine – boosts metabolism and ability to burn fat.
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid – decreases body fat mass and increases energy metabolism.
- Garcinia Cambogia – its hydroxycitric acid (HCA) component helps you lose at least two pounds every week by inhibiting fat-producing enzymes in your body.
- Green Tea Extract – this ingredient influences norepinephrine, another hormone that helps burn fat, especially in the belly area.
- Orlistat – this pharmaceutical drug prevents the breakdown of fat in the gut; hence allowing your body to absorb fewer calories.
2. Weight Loss Products
Apart from weight loss pills, there are also other products that can help you lose weight without cardio.
One example would be over-the-counter diet supplements. These are usually herbal products aimed to promote weight loss by making you feel fuller longer.
Aside from diet supplements, diet plans are also available in helping you lose weight without cardio. Below are some of the best diet plans worth considering:
- HMR Program – uses meal replacements like nutrition bars and low-calorie shakes to help you lose pounds.
- Weight Watchers Diet – this is a long-term diet program that uses point system to encourage dieters like you to go for healthy, filling foods. Balanced diet is emphasized and restrictions are less likely.
- Jenny Craig Diet – this diet is about proper portioning; hence restricting calories and fat intake.
- Volumetrics Diet – the purpose of this diet is to encourage dieters to go for bulky foods with few calories. The good thing about this diet plan is that it is realistic and something you can do for years.
- Atkins Diet – this diet plan allows you to lose 15 pounds in two weeks by limiting your carbs and bulking up on fat and protein.
3. Move Around
Are you familiar of NEAT or non-exercise activity thermogenesis? These are activities that are not strictly workout routines but could still help you lose weight because you are moving around. Examples of these are:
- Taking the stairs instead of riding the elevator
- Walking while talking to someone on the phone
- Finishing household chores
- Walking on your way to your destination, especially on short distances
- Taking a stroll in the park to de-stress
- Doing stretches in between breaks.
NEAT increases your metabolic rate and encourages you to burn more calories, which leads to weight loss. Therefore, move around. These simple exercises are excellent in burning calories without strictly doing cardio exercises. Plus, you can easily incorporate this in your daily routine.
4. Strength Training
Even without doing cardio, you can still go to the gym and lose weight. Instead of hitting the treadmill, you start to take strength training more seriously.
Strength training is an essential aspect in weight loss. This is because the more muscles you have, the higher your metabolism will be. This means if you have more mass, it will be easier to drop the fat.
Go for compound exercises to make the most out of your strength training. Exercises like squats, pulls, and presses work on multiple muscle groups, which means you get to target more by doing one exercise.
Don’t be afraid about gaining muscles. The key is to use weights that you’re most comfortable at and lift between eight to 12 reps. Rest time must be less than 90 seconds to encourage growth hormones to build muscles.
5. Circuit Training
Aside from lifting weights, circuit training, which is a combination of weights and cardio, is another way to help you lose weight without cardio. This is because the short, intense workout that this type of workout brings is a great way to stimulate both muscle growth and fat loss.
How does this work?
Choose a workout routine that shifts from upper body and then lower body. This stimulates proper blood circulation around your body, which in return, speeds up both heart and breathing rates. This situation is a perfect way to boost your metabolism, which will contribute in weight loss.
6. Watch Calorie Intake
What goes inside your body is crucial in helping you lose weight without cardio. Since cardio is not around to help, you need to reduce the calories you are currently taking in, which is also known as calorie deficit. This means you should be able to reduce as much as 200 calories or 25 percent worth of calories to maintain your body weight.
How will you know how much calories you should take?
You can multiply your current weight by 10 to 12 and take away up to 200 calories. Another way of knowing your total energy expenditure (TDEE), which is the number of calories you burn everyday. Thereafter, subtract 500 calories.
Take note that before you reduce your caloric intake, you should be currently consuming at least 1,200 calories everyday. Otherwise, this strategy on how to lose weight without cardio won’t work.
Also, keep track of your caloric intake for at least two weeks before you make computations. This way, you are sure that your body is and will be getting sufficient calories to keep you healthy and going.
7. Choose Food Wisely
Foods are meant to fill your tummy and keep you full. Nonetheless, there are foods that are proven to help you lose weight even without running in the treadmill.
Below are your best options:
- Apple Cider Vinegar – A 2009 study revealed that obese individuals who drank 15ml or 30ml of apple cider vinegar lost as much as 3.7 pounds after 12 weeks. This is because drinking ACV makes you feel full, which leads to lesser consumption of calories.
- Chia Seeds – This type of seeds may be small but they are terrible, at least in the weight loss department. Chia seeds have high fiber content, which is crucial in helping you lose weight. More importantly, chia seeds easily absorb water, thereby turning themselves into a gel. When taken, the seeds expand in your stomach; hence makes you feel fuller longer.
- Coconut Oil – Despite being “oil,” coconut oil is helpful in the Weight Loss department because of its medium chain triglycerides or MCT content. This component increases the feeling of fullness and burns more calories. A 2009 study also showed that using coconut oil could reduce belly fat.
- Eggs – Believe it or not, eggs are nutrient-dense and are rich in protein and healthy fats. When it comes helping you lose weight without cardio, eggs can be your best friend. According to a study published in the Journal of American College of Nutrition, overweight women who ate eggs during breakfast experienced an increase in satiety and ate less for the next 36 hours.
- Nuts – This food may be high in fat content, but believe it or not, it could help you lose weight. Nuts contain the right amount of protein, fiber, and healthy fats that not only improve your metabolic health but also help you lose weight. Still, take it easy on your intake and eat in moderation.
- Salmon – This type of fish is rich in essential nutrients, healthy fats, and protein to keep you healthy and within your allowable weight. Salmon is also rich in iodine, an important nutrient that ensures your thyroid functions properly for better and proper metabolism.
8. Change in Eating Habits
All of the things you learned above will definitely help you lose weight. Still, your eating habits still play a huge factor on whether or not you will be successful in the weight department. This is why it is important that you look into your eating habits as well. You might not notice it but it has an impact on your weight.
Here’s what you can do:
- Track food intake. Keeping track of what goes inside your body does help you lose weight without cardio, at least according to the 2011 study published in the Journal of American Dietetic Association. When you keep a food diary, you become more aware of what and how much food goes inside your body, thereby making you more conscious of your food intake.
- Chew food slowly. A study published in the Journal of American Dietetic Association revealed that chewing food slowly increases the production of hormones that help you lose weight. This will make you eat fewer calories as well.
- Eat in moderation. Sometimes, it all boils down to proper portioning. You can eat everything you want, but make sure that the portion size is appropriate. Eat everything in moderation instead of filling your stomach with double of everything. This way, you get to enjoy food without worrying too much about the calories you gained.
- Use smaller plates. Bigger plates encourage you to eat more. Subconsciously, you always feel the urge to fill your plate and consume more than your capacity. Change that habit by sticking to smaller plates. It makes you eat less, which also means you consume fewer calories.
9. Get Enough Sleep
How many hours of sleep are you getting every night? If you don’t get at least seven hours, then don’t be surprised if you find yourself reaching for a cookie or a cup of ice cream to keep you awake.
According to the Sleep Research Society, lack of sleep is among the risk factors of obesity. When you don’t get enough shut-eye, your brain triggers to produce more ghrelin or hunger hormone. As a result, appetite is stimulated and there is a constant urge particularly foods that are high in fat and calories.
If you want to lose weight without cardio, then make sure you get at least seven to eight hours of sleep every night. This will ensure that leptin or satiety hormone is strong enough to resist ghrelin once you wake up.
10. The Right Mindset
All of the tips you learned on how to lose weight without cardio will help you achieve your desired body. The biggest question now is why do you do it?
If you are serious about losing weight, then you need to know why you are doing it. Make a list of reasons and use it as your reminder and guide every time you feel like stopping.
More importantly, make sure that your reasons are realistic and attainable. According to a 2013 study published in Psychology & Health, people will be able to maintain weight loss efforts for a longer time if the reasons are based on realistic expectations. Aim for something that you can achieve instead of wanting to lose 10 pounds in one week.
Are you ready to lose weight without cardio?